Wednesday, July 5

Looking for Lloyd?

I ran across a post on Kwaya Na Kisser that made me laugh. Sometime last year (or was it the year before last?), I read Chuck Klosterman's Sex, Drugs & Cocoa Puffs. It's basically a cultural studies book that covers everything from MTV's Real World to movies from the eighties, and beyond.

Klosterman theorizes that every girl of a certain age is waiting around for Lloyd Dobler from Say Anything (or hoping that Cusack himself is Lloyd Dobler...the rest is just acting). I guess in a way, it's true. This was the post from KNK regarding Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes:

Three words: Lloyd Dobler, boom-box, the rest is history. If you have not seen Say Anything, please, dear God...don't rent it. Buy it! You will not regret it. Then you will understand why this song, still, to this day sends John Cusack' fan's hearts a-fluttering. *sigh* Aren't we all still holding out for our own Lloyd Dobler? I did have a guy try to play this for me one time, but I barely knew him and it ended up being really creepy instead of romantic. So guys, I know you think you're special if you do this for the girl you love...but leave this song to Lloyd Dobler. Women everywhere will thank you.

2 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I started reading this again in Antigua and it is hysterical!! I'm almost done... love it, thanks for loaning it to me! :)

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger V said...

You're welcome...glad you're enjoying it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home