Monday, September 11

Seems like yesterday...

So, it's been five years and I avoided all news coverage, but for a 3 minute story this morning on the Today show. It was the story of a young boy and the memories that remain with him from that day, and his first visit back to Ground Zero.

I had no desire to relive the original coverage on CNN. I had no desire to watch the 9/11 documentary on CBS last night. I've heard it was phenomenal and that I should watch it online. Yet, I feel like I've reached a sort of saturation point. I don't feel like there's been a day since the attack that we've (collectively) gone without thinking about it/been reminded of it/felt the ramifications of it. It can be as simple as seeing the opening credits of a late night rerun of Mad About You or Sex and the City with the towers still there, reading about the implementation of travel restrictions, or learning of a plan thwarted by a governmental agency. It will never be a question with me of not remembering. I still have the pictures from my visit to the city, and the shops underneath the WTC. I remember exiting the subway into what truly was a mini-city. I remember taking the express elevator up to look out at the amazing view. I remember watching in a daze when that all changed.

The music blogs I frequent had their own nod toward remembering 9/11. As it turns out, I shared some of the same memories. The U2 cd out at the time kind of defines that period for me, especially "Walk On." As does hearing Bruce Springsteen sing "My City of Ruins." Here are the links to the blogs...The first is a first-person account of what he saw that day with a touch of humor toward the end of the entry. The second is a reflection of someone looking in from the outside, but was just as affected.

Earfarm

I am Fuel, You are Friends

1 Comments:

At 10:43 PM, Blogger heather said...

Thanks for the link, and moreso I am glad that what I had to say (as, true, an outsider) made sense to you and resonated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home