Thursday, August 17

Some sanity...

A federal judge ruled today that the government's warrantless wiretapping program is unconstitutional and ordered an immediate halt to it.

I was always very wary of the huge umbrella that has been established to justify all things in the name of national security.

I'm sure the decision will be appealed and find its way to the Supreme Court. For me, it always comes back to 9/11...I was sitting in my civil rights class and Professor Coyne asked this question that still haunts me: At what point do we stop giving up our rights for security's sake? We all knew there were changes afoot, but I don't think I could have imagined some of the steps that have been taken since.

Questions have been cropping up lately in my head, with the 5th anniversary of 9/11 quickly approaching and the most recent terror alert.

I think the Court's decision was a step in the right direction...whether the ruling will stand, remains to be seen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home