Thursday, January 24

over it...

I spent the entire afternoon sitting in a courthouse hallway waiting to see if my motion was going to be heard or not. That wasn't the irritating part. The thing that got me is a simple phone call from the other party's attorney could have saved us both time and effort. I was there to enforce a Motion for Continuance. The other attorney was fighting tooth and nail to have that motion denied, and for the hearing scheduled to proceed. I couldn't believe, especially based on past dealings, that an objection to the continuance was filed. It was not unreasonable in any manner, and in no way would it hinder the opposing client's case to wait...even ONE day. We were #3 on the court's docket. That wasn't fast enough for opposing counsel. We did circuits around to every able-bodied judge. Not a single judge was available to hear the motion. Then, I had to deal with unhappy counsel and try to find an acceptable date and time for the hearing.

I've grown tired of dealing with stuff like this, the petty stuff. The notion that it's some great sacrifice to re-schedule when it's not an outlandish request irritates me to no end. I always give the other side the benefit of the doubt, because you never know when you'll be coming with your hat in hand asking for the same. Emergencies pop up, conflicts arise, witnesses need travel time...I get that. This was a simple hearing that (at most) would take 1/2 an hour. We could (and will) do it tomorrow...is that so bad?

In this case the continuance was needed to have time to prep and get the facts straight. Having just been retained yesterday afternoon, we didn't have time to go over everything that would have been necessary to proceed with the hearing as scheduled. Subpoenas need to go out, records have to be reviewed... To top it off, I don't even think the suit will go, due to outside factors (that I don't think the other party has been up front about with his attorney). I guess I'll find out bright and early tomorrow morning.

______________________________________

I was bored out of my mind Tuesday night, so went to see No Country for Old Men. Why in the world did I wait so long? I loved this movie. Javier Bardem is creepy as hell, and Josh Brolin is fantastic, especially given that he has little dialogue in the movie. Tommy Lee Jones is great, too. I'm going to make my dad go watch it...I don't think my mom will like it, but dad will love it.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of music. The silence of the movie is just as big a part of the story as the characters. I would absolutely recommend the movie. It's obviously dark, a bit gory, and there's a few scenes that involve harm to animals that I know would turn off some people. However, I absolutely see why it's lauded as one of the best pictures of last year.

________________________________________________

Wade's in town Friday, and I can't wait to see them. It's been way too long since I've seen a full-band show. Here's hoping the snow that's just starting to fall here doesn't mess up weekend plans.

1 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get to see you AND Wade on Friday!!! I'll probably end up meeting you at the bar...but yay for Wade. Here's hoping he doesn't pull a Mike Eli on me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home