Monday, September 15

tell me those stories I adore...

...about all your voices you try to ignore

- Tall Tale, Charlie Shafter



I got a text from Deidre last night. She'd walked into Adair's and said THE Charlie Shafter Band was playing and she thought of me. I'm not sure that it's a good thing that for many people I am reflexively connected with them. Hahaha... Do I talk about them that much? More than RK or RRB?

Anyway, I was happy that Deidre got to see the show and that she likes them, too. Originally, I planned to see them at Gruene Hall next Thursday. I thought, "Why not?" I'll already be headed that way to see Becky, Brady and the new nephew, Nolan. Well, that changed this morning. It looks like I'll be going this coming weekend to the Waco area. Mom called and said Becky was headed for the hospital.

Run down:
Thursday/Friday morning:
water, water everywhere

Heather sent me this picture, which I had missed:



Obviously, the drainage system in the stadium was pretty good since the game went on as scheduled. The roads home were almost impassible. The courthouse was closed the next day due to flooding and the likelihood of more rain on Friday.

Friday:

Gloomy day, but never more than a few scattered showers throughout the morning. The plan was to work from home and then head to see RK for an in-store performance. Well, stuff happens. I ended up shopping for my cousin's birthday, taking my nieces to the library, doing a little more research and realizing the afternoon was gone. I never even attempted to go to the show.

I call the amphitheater to make sure RK and RRB are still on for the night. They say it's still on. I am flying solo. Jessica was on her way to Dallas to see the Eagles in concert with her family on Saturday night. Chris was who knows where. Elvira was working. Eric and Emily? No idea. Kristi? No idea. Michelle and Mana? They thought it was Saturday night. At this point I have to admit I didn't call anybody before heading out. I figured the odds were good that I would know someone there among the thousands of people. Well, all I can say is Thank God for Brad. I didn't know a single soul there (Well, I didn't see anyone I knew until the last 10 minutes of the RRB set).

The RK set was great, as always. There was a time I thought they would walk from the stage because of a few bottles being tossed...never made contact, but came very close. I'm trying to remember the specifics of the setlist, but I clearly remember Guy Like Me, Castanets, and 52 Vincent. I would go see them anytime, anywhere.

RRB was fun. They played the new stuff, including Never Be That High, which I hadn't heard live before. The crowd seemed to have a good response, but they went absolutely crazy for KMITD. Still amazes me...to see all those people there for RRB.

I found out that 75 people or so showed for RK's in-store performance. I totally could have made it. Brad said there was some sort of mix-up with the production company and the show ran like 3 hours late. Daaammmnnit! (À la GDV) He assured me I didn't miss much.

Saturday: College football and Christopher's first game of the season in his youth football league. Christopher is the younger cousin I took to see The Dark Knight. Not only was this his first game, he was named QB and was celebrating his birthday. Big day. Following his win (32-6), we had his birthday dinner and party. He cleaned up re: football gear, video games, and cash.

I'm not really sure what I did after leaving my aunt and uncle's house. Wait, I watched SNL. Tina Fey returning to portray Sarah Palin was the highlight.

Sunday: a whole lotta nothing

In my dreams I remember every feature, 'til I wake up to an imaginary creature...

- Tall Tale, Charlie Shafter


I've spent the better part of the last week reading the first two books of the Twilight series. I have book 3 waiting in the wings until lunchtime. Rebs posted a tweet asking Trisha and I if we've had any Edward dreams. I wouldn't go that far, but the second book sure was great at developing a longing to hear from his character. The books are totally geared toward a younger set, but I enjoy them just as much as my cousin, Dione, a high school senior. I am counting down to the movie (even if it did bump my Harry Potter movie until next summer...), ready to get lost in the next book, and not really wanting to finish the fourth anytime soon.

3 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Lori said...

*sigh* i have edward dreams... he has ruined me for all non-fictitious , mortal men...

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger V said...

Oh, I can totally see that!

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I TOLD you you would love the Twilight books!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home