Friday, December 8

LAW & Friends


I didn't get around to this yesterday. I don't really know how to describe the show. It was fantastic, fun and packed. I was somewhat disappointed to find out that it wasn't an acoustic show, entirely. I didn't realize that Lee Ann Womack's band was on the bill as well, until that afternoon. The first ninety minutes would be the song swap, the last hour would be LAW.

The night started out with a DVD intro by LAW. It was about saving country music...and tore into the usual suspects, Kenny Chesney and Big & Rich. Then, they took the stage. I have to say I was surprised by the overwhelming crowd reaction to Stoney. He hasn't been to Lubbock in quite some time (I'm thinking end of April). He was, without a doubt, the crowd favorite; save for the girls behind us that found it necessary to scream how much they loved Cody after every song. Wade sounded great, Cody didn't disappoint and LAW sounded great, as well. The only thing that would have been better is if her vocals were a bit louder. It was hard to hear at times. She pretty much watched Stoney all night, in awe... (or was texting on her phone)

After the acoustic portion, we moved to the side of the stage. It was far too packed to stay near the front of the stage. LAW took the stage after a short 15 minute break. I have never seen her with a full-band. She put on a great show. I'm holding out saying how I feel about her singing "Down & Out," because the initial weirdness of hearing someone else sing those words hasn't faded. The highlight of her set was "Mendocino County Line" with Stoney doing his Willie thing.

Wade, Cody and Stoney all hung out on the side of the stage for her set. I felt bad for Cody. Every five to ten minutes, a new group of people would ask for a picture, autograph...something from him. He did start laughing at one point, though. These two young girls came up for a picture. The had Nikki take a picture of them...as I Hope You Dance is beginning. One of the girls said, Ooooh, girl! We got to go hear this one! They dash off after the picture and Cody is left there laughing...as am I.

I think my favorite songs of the night were Cody singing the George Strait song, "Unwound," Wade singing "One Step Closer," Stoney singing "Steel Heart," and Lee Ann Womack singing "I May Hate Myself In the Morning." Although, Cody singing "Back Around" was pretty amazing...as was Stoney singing "Empty Glass." Yeah, I'm not good at choosing favorites.

It was a lot of fun. Lots of people came out to the show. It had been quite some time since I'd seen Chris B. and Justin P. I almost got talked into committing to a trip to OKC at the end of the year. I stopped short of saying yes, when I realized New Year's Day is on Monday. Yeah, I don't think that'll fly in the office. At least not when I'm leaving on the 3rd for Steamboat.

_________________________

Last night, I had planned on going to see the Charlie Shafter Band. Well, that didn't work out, due to an illness in the band. So, instead we watched Harold & Kumar go to White Castle for the umpteenth time. I got to bed early, yet still woke up late.

Not much going on here this weekend. I am buying the ipod, buying some last minute gifts and cleaning my bedroom. I have lost my set of keys to the house, office and my mom and dad's place. I KNOW they are somewhere in the house...now comes the part of finding out where in the house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home