Monday, June 4

Quick hits...or maybe not

Last Thursday, I convinced my sister to go see a midnight showing of Knocked Up. Thinking back on the movie the past few days, I think it might be the best $8 bucks I've spent at the theater in months. Sometimes, you just want to laugh...and the relationship that develops between Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen in the movie is fantastic. It's absolutely an adult comedy, and I can see how some people would find it a little disgusting or too crass. However, it never makes light of the issue of the unexpected pregnancy.

I was talking with Becky after they'd seen it. She said a few people walked out not too long into the movie due to the language. I guess I've become immune, because I truly don't remember anything being that offensive. Certainly not enough to warrant walking out. Anyway, those people missed out on a funny movie, that definitely has a much softer side than the previews let on.

Friday night, I did go see Brandon Rhyder after riding out a hail storm. Holy cow, the crowd sucked! The size of the crowd was actually impressive. However, their enthusiasm was pathetic and I just couldn't believe how non-responsive they were at times. I didn't have that great a time (not at all due to the band - they were great). I just choose to avoid that venue if at all possible. I'd gladly continue to live in a bubble, where every band still plays 2 to 3 hour sets at the Blue Light. I know that's not realistic, but there has to be some middle ground, where I don't have to see an acoustic set in a cavernous box with no character.

Saturday night, I was back at home...the Blue Light. There was a great crowd for the show. I'm not sure what drew them in initially, the Motorcars or the guy dressed up like Captain Morgan and his pirate hookers (I know that's probably not how they'd refer to themselves, but what other chance am I going to get to use that term and have it be a fitting, accurate description of someone realistically?). Anyhow, the show was terrific. I was apparently in a drinking mood, and thank God for David and the rest of the staff. Back to the show...confession: I still miss Joseph. Kris is outstanding, but I think it's more the person I miss than the music. He's got the exam coming up...think good thoughts! As I type this, I'm listening to the Motorcars' Clubhouse Concert show...might just be my favorite.

During the show, I kept getting weather updates from my sister. There were two strong storm cells headed for us. At least one of which had already produced a tornado. The sirens were going off in Levelland, and the storm was eastbound. Then, I get another text saying there was another storm headed from the north, again right towards us. My main concern was hail damage to my car. Having lived here for so long, I know the chances of the tornado causing damage is less than the hail storms. Katie and I decided to move away from the wall of glass and stand near the merch booth with Ryan. The rain came, but nothing else really materialized (at least where we were). I think the storm moved off to the south. I got to my mom and dad's EARLY the next morning and they were obviously hit harder. There were tree branches and debris throughout the neighborhood. It reminded me of a cartoon Tom drew years ago when a storm that produced hail the size of baseballs tore through town. (I know only one or two people that read this will know what in the world I'm talking about, but just thinking about that drawing makes me laugh.)

I have absolutely nothing planned, besides hitting the Blue Light tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home