Thursday, November 1

I've got 19 minutes to kill...

Things I've grown weary of reading/hearing/watching (most of which, I acknowledge, amount to nothing in comparison to other issues):

* Advertisements for Bee Movie! I admit, I'll be going to see it with my sister and nieces tomorrow afternoon. However, Jerry Seinfeld's takeover of NBC with promotions for this movie has been ridiculous (with the exception of his appearance on 30 Rock).

* Having a client tell me what my job entails. Unless I'm on retainer (which I am not in this case), I will not be writing letters on your behalf, I will not call people for you, I will not conduct research for you...got it? If you want me to do something outside the realm of the atty/client contract you initially signed, you'll be paying me another fee to do so.

* Sadly, Dan Patrick's new radio show. It's just not the same. I find it so boring and stale. I hate the format change. I miss the interaction he had with his old production staff. I don't like the pre-recorded interviews. I miss Keith Olbermann.

* Feeling bad about not whole-heartedly agreeing with the court decision regarding the funeral protesters. While I absolutely share the same emotions/sentiment as those who rejoice in the outcome, I have a gnawing fear about the damage this decision could have in relation to the protections afforded by the First Amendment. We've already sustained losses, and there doesn't seem to be an outcry for a return to the old way. I am still amazed at some regulations I read when preparing documents...it's pretty staggering what we've already given up in the name of safety.

Things I can't get enough of:

* Listening to Kevin Smith's SMODCAST. There's no better way to kill an hour during the week when driving to and from the office. Whether he's with his usual partner, Scott Mosier, or his wife or long-time friends, the show always makes me laugh.

* PBS. I've been a Public Broadcast-watching fool. Last week, I was enthralled by Nature, which focused on the Colony Collapse Disorder wiping out a significant portion of honey bees. It's a pretty bleak outlook if some answers aren't found to stall the spread of the disorder. I have also been enjoying this season of Independent Lens. This week's was about democracy in action. As an experiment, a democratic election was put in place in a Chinese primary school for the position of class-monitor. Voting was an entirely foreign concept to these kids. They had no idea what it meant...but boy, did they get the hang of it. The smear campaigns, the mud-slinging, the back-door deals and promises...it was fascinating. Austin City Limits is looking good, too. Wilco and Arcade Fire are both featured in the upcoming weeks.

* Making plans with friends to see them soon. I'll be visiting OKC next week and then, it's off to DFW the weekend after Thanksgiving. I can't wait to see everybody.

* Thanksgiving & the Fiesta-themed Party (Which is totally redundant if you speak Spanish! LOL) I can't wait to see everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home