Sunday, July 6

wall-e, weekend, & wimbledon...

I left the office Thursday a little after lunch and headed over to catch a matinée showing of Wall-E. I wasn't really interested in seeing the movie based on the trailers. However, the reviews were so good across the board, I thought I'd give it a shot. I really liked it. I don't think it's the best Pixar film ever, that's still Toy Story for me.

I figured out that the filmmakers had their hands tied when it came to enticing people to see the movie. There's not exactly a lot of dialogue...a significant part of the movie is "silent." I think that's one of the strengths of the movie, though. I have talked to one person who absolutely HATED it. In fact, they fell asleep about 45 minutes in. I'm on the other side of the spectrum, I'd recommend it to any one.

I had absolutely no plans for the weekend. I knew there would likely be a family gathering at some point, but I didn't have any great plans. I ended up spending much of the weekend looking for birthday gifts for twin 5 year olds and watching Weeds. (I'm going to hate not knowing what's going on during the 4th season!)

I woke this morning ready to watch the men's final of Wimbledon. The rain hit and the delay was on. I lost interest in watching the coverage and tuned out. I didn't check back in until the 5th set...they were tied at 5-5. I really thought Federer would win in the end. It was not meant to be this year. What a sports year for Spain, though...the Euro and now, Nadal winning Wimbledon.

This week doesn't hold much, work-related. I do have two birthday parties on Saturday; the twins and then an adult outing which will probably end with galaxy bowling. hahaha

3 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are some harsh criticisms of Wall-e flying around the blogosphere. I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment but some are saying it just preaches fascism throughout. Any thoughts?

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger V said...

Political philosophy was the last thing on my mind when I saw this, Meg! LOL

I read some of the blogs on the subject, and completely disagree. I think you'd have to walk into the theater searching for these themes. I will concede the following: There is reference to an omnipresent corporation; and the movie depicts a uniform community. However, I think these are more a result of their situation; not some oppressive force at work. In the latter stages, a few robots do take on an aggressive role. Yet, I just don't see blatant fascism.

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to know.
Writers have been slamming Pixar (who I usually love) for this one. I was a little disappointed to read that they would create a kid's movie to push their own political agenda. It's such an inappropriate medium for that. I was thinking that I was going to have to start screening even Disney/Pixar films before letting Addison see them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home